Kylie's 'Abbey Road Sessions' Interview From Digital Spy

After 25 years in the game, Kylie Minogue has celebrated the milestone with a series of releases and intimate shows over the last 12 months that have pleased even her most demanding of fans.

She's rounding off the year with a new LP titled The Abbey Road Sessions; a collection of her biggest hits stripped back and re-imagined with a full orchestra backing.

Digital Spy was invited to join Minogue for a spot of afternoon tea at London's Savoy hotel, where we found out more about the LP and whether she's planning an extended break after a busy year.

Congratulations on your new album! You've reinterpreted some of your best known hits for it; was there a song in particular that kicked the whole thing off?
"'Lucky' in 1998. It was the first time I did it as a torch song. I think it was because I was so embarrassed that I hadn't come to terms with doing it in its original form again. Me and one of the producers on this album, Steve Anderson - who has worked with me throughout my career - started formulating a plan back then. We both get excited by a four-piece band, so the idea of a full orchestra was just so thrilling - especially when most of my music is very produced sounds."

Many of the songs which were originally uptempo translate particularly well as big ballads...
"I think it's very telling that a song like 'Never Too Late' is actually so sad! I'd never thought about that before. We did a week in a studio with a band and tried out lots of different things and it was interesting to mess around with the songs. We completely changed the melody for 'All The Lovers', to the point where I now sometimes forget the original one!"

Were there any songs you tried to re-work that ended up sounding crap?
"I don't think so actually. We tried some songs in the rehearsal period that didn't go anywhere. There were a few extras we recorded that aren't on the album. One thing I was super pleased about was Nick Cave coming back - we sat on stools with our sheet music knowing so much water had gone under the bridge. It was very touching."

You're one of the few artists who is very good at doing what your fans want you to do.
"It's social media. How else do I hear what someone else has to say? It's a double-edged sword - you come across tweets from weirdos and decide to leave it for a week and pretend they don't exist, but 99% of people are excited fans and they affect what you do. The idea behind the Anti Tour was people asking me how I would top the 'Aphrodite' tour... I thought the best option was to go completely the other way. I always tried to be that way - sometimes it works and sometimes you fall flat on your face."

When have you fallen flat on your face?
"Well look at Impossible Princess - it didn't exactly sell truckloads of albums! It feels like a real luxury that fans want something different from you though. It's great to look at things from a different angle."

What was it like revisiting your earlier hits?
"It was brilliant. What was interesting is that as you get older your voice traditionally lowers... but when we were rehearsing in Melbourne [for the Anti Tour] I rediscovered my PWL voice! I wasn't sure I could do it, but I did, and it was wholly enjoyable."

Will you be finding your PWL voice for the Pete Waterman gig in December?
"Possibly, yeah. I can't commit to it as I've got a lot going on. But if they're doing the show and if I'm around then I'd love to be a part of it. God, there's getting to be so much pressure on that one song!"

You've been celebrating K25 this year; will you be taking a break after 2012?
"All I know is there will be no K26! Of course I admire those women who still do it; Barbra Streisand, Dolly Parton are still making movies and still doing records. If that's to be then maybe that will happen. I do have days where I want to completely throw it in and retire.

"I just need a little breather. I'd love to do some more acting as I'm meeting these great independent directors now, which is fun. At the same time though, I'll be starting work on the next album - so it'll probably be much the same really!"
The Abbey Road Sessions is released via Parlophone on October 29 and November 6 in the US. For more information visit kylie.com/abbeyroadsessions
Thanks to Digital Spy, Bottom Artwork by Matias Segnini

Share this:

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

Teddi said...

This was a fantastic read! Looking forward to hear the album